counter

Saturday 12 July 2008

when you talk different languages

Lets go to the tailor, I want to make your baju kurung for kakak's wedding. mama's call showered me with utter boredom. especially when i'm playing this computer game with Luqman. it'd take no time. i dragged my feet and followed. reaching the tailor's place, i shut up hearing mama discussing the best style. they look at me for my opinion. and all i said was "nak baju kurung biase je boleh tak? taklaa segan nak pakai bebanyak kali" as expected, they went on discussing, my point is irrelevant. huhu. i can't even picture what they have in mind.
out of sudden i saw a little kid crawling from beneath the table. she pulled my sweater. u like it? i asked. she muttered some words in mandarin. right. i take that as a yes. yeah, i think she's about one or two yrs. her feet got stuck in some plastic bag. let me help, i said. and she stared at me as if i'm an alien while i removed that plastic frm her feet. she crawled to the door with a view of the road outside. i looked at the two women in front of me, deep in discussion, and i silently went to sit beside that little kid. she pointed at a couple walking together outside passing by, muttered some mandarin words and laughed. people in love, we're just to young to understand right?, i said to her. haha, she won't understand, i bet. but then she listened to what i said so attentively and nodded. she muttered some more words. soon, i find myself actually having a conversation with a child who just learnt how to talk, and we're actually talking two different language. she commented on every person passing by, and listened attentively to my comment, sometimes nodding, sometimes shaking her head. if i make a joke, i'll laugh and she'd laugh too. Haha. Interesting. I even get to teach her this game of who-hits-the-other-person's-hands-first. Man, i like to see her laugh. she's so cute.
she was laughing so loud that mama realised i wasn't there listening to the discussion anymore. i was so afraid mama might scold me for being impolite, but her smile melted mama's heart. fine, play with her if u want to. i taught her how to high five for the first time. we make a great team, i told her. and she nodded. she's one smart kid.
suddenly she pulled my hand towards some table where she showed me her treasures. haha..big legos. right. she directed me specifically to pick up each piece and discussed with me how to put them together. she pointed and muttered mandarin words again, and i go, taklaa..camni lagi best. and when she disagrees she would shake her head so seriously. haha. fine, u're the boss, i said. when every piece is finally used, i clapped my hands and offered another high five. she muttered some words again. she dissappeared under some other tables again. yeah, i guess she's bored with me already. no hard feelings. she's just a kid. as i stood up to go back, i heard she called me in some way. haha. she was searching for one missing piece. she found it! yeah!
we put that last piece together and high fived. she laughed again. i smiled. time to go, mama called. yeah, and i heard the tailor called that little kid, "mady-ha". i was like, wo, never heard of such chinese names before. when i said bye2, she went and kissed mama's hand. when i offered my hand, she made this dissappointed face and held on my sweater, giving this don't-go look. but yeah, have to leave anyway.
in the car i told mama, she has a weird chinese name right. like "mady-ha" mama laughed. her name is madihah dear. huh? how come a chinese got some islamic name as like a name? mama laughed. she's frm china, her parents are chinese-muslims, her mum works there and her dad is studying in uia. haha, we had something in common after all. turns out mama left her bag at the shop we had to turn back. i ring the bell and waited for someone to open the door, and guess who saw me first? my smart little buddy. she ran excitedly to the door. her mum unlocked the door and immediately she pulled my sweater, so that i had to sit beside her. her mum laughed. do you know each other? she asked me. i laughed and nodded. we'd meet again someday buddy, but i have to go,i said to her. i know this is stupid but i think she understood what i said, cause she let go my sweater, and gave me a friendly handshake. haha....right, today i made a great friend who is very well...little? :)


No comments: